Paul Krugman - The New York Times:
No, what we’re hearing sounds like a man who is out of his depth and out of control, who can’t even pretend to master his feelings of personal insecurity. His first two weeks in office have been utter chaos, and things just keep getting worse — perhaps because he responds to each debacle with a desperate attempt to change the subject that only leads to a fresh debacle.
Mr. Trump wasn’t elected to the White House to make things right. He was sent to break the status quo by voters who believe America has failed them. He’s not doing it in a thoughtful, scheming way, either. He’s bulling his way through the china shop, faking it until he makes it. He doesn’t know any other way. He is a bullshit artist, and always has been.
What his followers didn’t count on were his vanity, his thin skin, and his lack of national political wisdom. CEOs rule by fiat. Presidents of the United States, not so much. Voters would have had to rely on credible media to know that. Where do you suppose Trump’s followers got their news?
There’s something shocking, but not surprising, in his behavior. We’ve never seen a president act this way. Only in hindsight and through diligent journalism did why learn of previous presidents’ tantrums.
His actions are trending toward dangerous. Threatening to invade Mexico as a “joke” is a relatively benign act. A true problem will emerge when he threatens a foreign power of consequence. Think “China.”
“Russia” won’t ever be heard at the end of a threat.
A few thoughts, in no particular order:
- he won’t last four years, probably by his own choosing. Trump is not built for stamina. How he completed the campaign primary season is a mystery.
- he’ll start a war, or at least have our military shooting at someone new, somewhere, on the thinnest justification. Think President G. W. Bush in Iraq.
- he won’t deliver on his major campaign promises, such as repeal of the ACA, or building a border wall between the US and Mexico.
- contrary to his constant assertions, his administration isn’t going to be “great.” It will be an embarrassment.
- those who claim the US government should be run like a business, by a businessman, will finally be shown the error of their ways.
#Trump #GOP #fraud #unqualified #unprofessional #delusional #dangerous #notGonnaLastFourYears #tool